Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Pushing Pause on the Neurosis to Give Thanks.




It has been an unforgivably long time since I posted and I am truly sorry!  but I will say that it has been for good reasons.  One of my favorite expressions is “You need to get your house in order” - and not just because I am an anal-retentive clean freak, but because it speaks to so many levels of the human experience.  Our house is where we live, physically, mentally and spiritually and this summer has been my personal journey towards getting my house in order.  


As I have written about my job loss and my struggle to make sense of personal worth in the wake of my ego crushing rejection, you have seen the highlights...or lowlights as the case may be.  And let me reassure, in case you have any doubt, I was ten times more neurotic through the ordeal than anything my writing may have conveyed.  Mr. W. will back me up on that.  I am not a person that deals with change well - not that any of us enjoy being thrown outside our comfort zone, but finding a happy medium to navigate the storms of life is just not my bag.  I tend to be a bit more like Mindy Kaling whose philosophy is “I hate moderation.  I either wanna be a monk or a Baz Luhrmann film, but nothing in between.”  Word.  Thus my quest to put my house in order.  Because let me tell you it gets messy when you are practicing yoga one day and glitter painting your face while dancing in the backyard the next (....there may have been some vino involved with the glitter dancing, I’m certain that almost goes without saying).  


Putting my house in order has entailed some interesting experiments, some of which I have already detailed and some you will get to hear about soon and it has definitely been a sliding scale between successfully balancing my chi and just utterly forgetting that I am even a grown up making for some interesting stories..  


So, why have I been so preoccupied?  Well, I got a job.  Yessiree, and I have been “adulting” like crazy.  This was one of those fairy tale endings that you really, REALLY hope for in life but rarely get.  It makes for INCREDIBLE living, but not quite as interesting storytelling.  But since you have all so graciously read, laughed, consoled and basically propped my deflated pride up for the last few months, I MUST tell you!  


I was hired to work at my dream job.  I just didn’t realize that it would be a dream job until I had been here for a few days!  I am currently doing what I love and working from home at a different online public high school.  I so enjoyed my co-workers at my previous job that I didn’t think it would be possible to find that same type of camaraderie anywhere else.  Though I dearly miss the friends I made at my previous workplace, my new peers have taken me in, encouraged me and I am already finding my stride. I work for an amazing school leader, someone that I can look to for guidance and mentorship, a large (and growing!) team of competent peers and the opportunity to teach students from my home.  To say that I have been blessed is an understatement.  

When something bad happens in life you console yourself with the idea that there is purpose behind it all and that, eventually, it will all work out - and I believe that sentiment! - but you rarely get the opportunity to actually watch everything come full circle.  This time I did.  This may not be a blog post filled with drama or intrigue, but it is one filled with humble thanksgiving, and since you have all so kindly allowed me into your reading space to record my journey, I wanted to share my thanks with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment